THE SERRA CROSS CONSERVANCY
In 1782 Father Junipero Serra founded the San Buenaventura Mission. Soon after, a large wooden cross was placed on a neighboring hillside as a guidepost for travelers. Over the years, the original cross and a series of replacements were lost to the elements, but locals never gave up. The current cross has stood atop its circular stone pedestal since 1941, and today the Preservation Trust and community volunteers are committed to maintaining and improving the park for everyone’s enjoyment. Serra Cross Park also has a romantic legacy—throughout the years, countless couples have been married here, making this a particularly cherished piece of local heritage. Read On…
In January 2010, stoneworkers from around the world came to Ventura to work on a ramparts project at the Serra Cross Park.
Led by a family from Japan who has built castle ramparts and walls for eight generations, the project was constructed in 10 days using stone from a quarry in Ojai. The Stone Foundation brought expert "rock knockers" from several states to learn the Japanese method of dry stone walling, which uses no mortar and relies on gravity to hold the stones in place for centuries. Massive stones were shaped by hand, using ancient tools. Of special interest is the spherical stone which sits atop one of the ramparts. View our photo gallery»